SAGMJ Car of the Year winners announced
South African Guild of Motoring Journalists announces category winners of Car of the Year competition
The South African Car of the Year (COTY) trophy, awarded since 1986, is the country’s most highly respected and sought-after motoring accolade. While the competition has evolved over the years (categories were introduced recently), one thing has remained true to the contest; it celebrates and rewards automotive excellence.
COTY jurors were encouraged to score vehicles as they experienced them on launches or as test-drive vehicles and to input scores and notes via the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ) scoring system.
The COTY scoring process is so much more than just juror scoring. Once the jurors concluded scoring, the automated scoring factors that cover sales performance, segment share and value for money are applied. The automated scoring information was provided by Lightstone Auto, which provides data-driven insight, online market intelligence and new vehicle sales data to the South African automotive industry. The Jurors Excellence Award uses raw scoring to reveal which vehicle received the highest scores before automated factors were included.
The 2021 South African Car of the Year category winners are:
- Budget Category: Toyota Starlet
- Compact Category: Hyundai Venue
- Compact Family Category: Peugeot 2008 SUV
- Family Category: Audi A4
- Premium Category: BMW 4 Series
- Adventure Category: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Double Cab Category: Toyota Hilux Double Cab
- Performance Category: Porsche 911 Turbo S
- New Energy Category: Porsche Taycan
- Motor Enthusiast’s Choice: Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Jurors Excellence Award: Peugeot 2008 SUV