2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Popular diesel luxury saloon a lot of car at the price!
Even in 2014-guise this Mercedes-Benz C220 Bluetec remains an attractive luxury saloon mainly due to its well-defined sophisticated styling that seems to be ageing very well compared to newer offerings on the market.
Model: 2014 Mercedes-Benz C220 Bluetec Avantgarde (A)
Pre-Owned Price: R 279 900
Mileage: 82 800km
Maintenance Plan: Remainder of 6-year/100 000km plan
Fuel Consumption (combined): 4.2-litres/100km
0-100km/h: 7.5 seconds
Contact: Contact George Azzie from Cargo Motors Bedfordview at 087 256 4400
Background and condition of vehicle:
- High levels of quality and durability ensures that the C220 is a popular vehicle amongst buyers.
- Especially older year models like our model on test here offer the most car for your buck.
- The interior was especially tidy for the mileage and besides a few small scuffmarks on the lower door trim and some shine on the leather steering wheel, there is not much else that indicates that this is a 6-year old vehicle.
- Although the tyres were not new they certainly won’t need replacing soon.
Performance and Economy:
- The 2.1-litre turbo-diesel engine utilized in the C220 Bluetec might not be as refined as some newer offerings on the market but still offers strong performance and economy.
- Maximum power of a 125kW, coupled with 400Nm of torque enables the C220 to blast to a 100km/h in 7.5-seconds, while the top speed is around 230km/h.
- Shifting into the Eco-driving mode and with some careful driving you can also achieve fuel economy figures as low as 4.2-litres per 100km.
How does it drive?
- The 7-speed automatic gearbox offers well-spaced ratios combined with butter smooth shifts that truly ensure an effortless driving experience.
- The engine however did seem a bit noisier than I expected, although mostly only noticeable at high engine speeds.
- As expected from a luxury saloon of this calibre the C220 offers occupants a smooth and unflustered ride, with high levels of comfort and ride quality.
- Various driving modes that included Sport, Comfort, Eco and even an Individual setting can be selected to further enhance driver enjoyment or comfort when behind the wheel.
- Wind and road noise in the C-Class also seemed well suppressed.
Inside the vehicle:
- Although 6-years old, the C-Class still boasts a stunning interior, with the design dominated by the 8.4-inch tablet like screen and SLS-style bullseye vents.
- The quality leather, beautiful brushed aluminum finishes and the piano black trim still appears modern and stylish.
- Naturally, there is also a full array of luxury features that included:
- Dual-zone Climate Control
- Adaptive cruise control
- Central Locking
- Electronic handbrake
- LED Day-time driving lights
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Infotainment system with screen
- USB connection and 12V port
- On-Board trip computer
- Front and side airbags (7)
- Isofix rear seats
- ABS braking with EBD Stop/Start
- Traction and stability control
- Sport, Comfort, Economy driving modes
- Multi-function steering wheel
- Park distance control front and rear
- Paddle shifters
- Tyre pressure monitor
- Voice command
- Leather upholstery
- Auto headlights on
- Rain sensor
- Active Park Assist
- Electric windows
Space and Practicality:
- Finding a comfortable driving position in the C220 is easy with lots of adjustments available.
- The C220 felt spacious in the front, with ample head and shoulder room.
- In the back, the C-Class offers decent amounts of room, although not quite as much as I expected. This said four adults can easily travel in style.
- Although the 480-litres of boot space is pretty average in this sector of the market, the boot has a wide opening allowing for easy loading of larger objects.
- Al be it 6-years old the C220 still scores high marks in terms of quality and design.
- Overall the C220 in pre-owned guise offers a strong package, backed up by excellent residual values, high levels of comfort, as well as strong performance and frugal fuel economy.
- At only R 279 900 it certainly offers a lot of car for your money.
- Quality materials
- Good performance and fuel economy
- Lots of car for the money
X Engine not as refined as some newer offerings on the market
X No key-less entry