2018 Kia Sportage
Meticulously looked after Sportage, a great value proposition.
Model: 2018 Kia Sportage Ignite GDI (A)
Pre-Owned Price: R 299 900
Mileage: 30 600km
Warranty: Remainder of 5-year/unlimited mileage
Service Plan: Remainder of 5-year/90 000km
Fuel Consumption (combined): 7.7-litres/100km
0-100km/h: 12.1 seconds
Contact: Bethuel Mathiane from Centurion Nissan
With attractive styling, modern looks, as well as offering high levels of value it is clear to see why the Kia Sportage has remained a popular choice amongst buyers in South Africa. Our used vehicle on test is the entry-level version of the Kia Sportage model line-up, which arguably also offers the best value for money in the range.
Background and condition of vehicle:
- For a vehicle with 30 600km on the clock the overall condition of the Sportage certainly impressed.
- Quality materials and good all-round build quality ensured that our Sportage virtually looked and even drove like a new vehicle.
- We could not notice any flaws inside or out. Even the boot area was still very tidy, except for a few small scratches on the plastic trim.
- Our test vehicle was also equipped with four new 215/70R16 rubber boots.
Performance and Economy:
- The entry level model on test here features a 1.6-litre 16-valve power unit that produces 97 Kilowatts of maximum power and a 161Nm of torque.
- Although these figures proved decent enough for a normally aspirated 1600cc engine, I do feel that you expect a bit more power at this price point.
- The Sportage Ignite does perform admirably with a 0-100km/h dash of 12.1 seconds.
- In city traffic the Sportage also seemed to just about boast enough power to cruise along effortlessly.
- To get the best out of this power plant though, you will have to drive it reasonably hard, which does allow some engine noise to enter the cabin.
- Overall the engine and gearbox are well refined for a vehicle in this sector of the market.
- Fuel economy compared well with most of its normally aspirated rivals at 7.7-litres per 100km.
How does it drive?
- Due to reasonably high-profile tyres the ride was comfortable with the Sportage soaking up even the worst bumps in the road with ease.
- Another advantage the high-profile rubber is the fact that you could tackle some rough gravel roads without the danger of picking up a puncture.
- The steering proved precise for a medium sized SUV, while still light enough to ensure that it is effortless to negotiate those tight parking spaces.
- For safety purposes the Sportage comes equipped with stability control, ABS braking with EBD, as well as front and side airbags.
Inside the vehicle:
- The Sportage’s interior looks quite smart, thanks to plenty of squishy plastics and some leather inserts.
- Due to decent build quality and plenty of high quality materials the interior seems to age well, especially looking at the immaculate condition of this vehicle on test.
- Although an entry level version of the range, our Ignite did seem to come reasonably well equipped.
- Standard Features included the following:
- 6 x airbags
- Remote Central Locking
- ABS braking with EBD
- Electric windows
- Aux and USB port
- Basic Multimedia Infotainment system
- 12V socket
- Multi-function steering wheel
- Full size spare wheel
- Cupholders in central console and doors
- Trip computer
- Auto headlights on
- Power steering
- Blue tooth phone connectivity
- Cruise Control
- Daytime running lights
- Various cupholders
- Rear PDC
Space and Practicality:
- Regarding space the Sportage is on par with most of its rivals, with enough leg, elbow and head room for the front as well as rear occupants.
- The rear seats also boast a reclining feature offering increased comfort for rear passengers.
- Boot space proved generous with 466-litres on offer, which increases to 1 455-litres with the seats folded down.
- Another practical feature is that the Sportage’s floor lies flush with the boot opening, making loading bulky, heavy items easier.
- This used Kia Sportage Ignite is most certainly a solid buy in the medium sized SUV sector of the market, offering good value at under R 300 000.
- Our vehicle was really well cared for and the fact that it still looks like new further sweetens this deal.
- Throw in Kia’s 5-year warranty and 5-year service plan and its clear why the Sportage remains one of top SUV buys at this price point.
- Quality materials at price point
- Fantastic warranty and service plan
X Engine slightly down on power